Valley Leisure Ltd is a charity registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales, number 800760.
Valley Leisure Ltd provides and operates two facilities in Andover, Hampshire; Riverside Bowl and I Can Therapy Centre and one online service; I Can Connect.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF THE POLICY STATEMENT
Valley Leisure is committed to practices that protect an adults’ rights and keep adults with care and support needs safe from abuse and neglect.
Trustees, employees, workers and volunteers accept and recognise their responsibilities to develop awareness of the issues that could cause adults harm.
Valley Leisure and its Trustees, staff, workers and volunteers have a duty of care to safeguard all adults with care and support needs involved in their work and activities and protect them from harm.
This policy has been drawn up on the basis of legislation, policy and guidance that seeks to protect adults with safeguarding needs in England.
A summary of the key legislation and guidance is available from the Ann Craft Trust:
This policy statement should be read alongside our organisational policies, procedures, guidance and other related documents:
Safeguarding adults policy
Code of Conduct policy
Disclosure and Barring Service Policy
Bullying and harassment policy
Health and safety policy
WE BELIEVE THAT:
- Adults with safeguarding needs should never experience abuse of any kind regardless of their age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.
- We have a responsibility to promote the welfare of all adults with safeguarding needs, to keep them safe and to practice
WE RECOGNISE THAT:
Adults with care and support needs have a right to equal protection from harm and neglect.
The six principles for safeguarding adults include:
Safeguarding adults means:
- Ensuring the welfare of adults
- Identifying poor practice
- Responding to any adult safeguarding concerns
- Upholding an adults’ rights
Our policy and practice must take into account an adults’ capacity and consent.
WE WILL SEEK TO ADULTS WITH CARE AND SUPPORT NEEDS SAFE BY:
- Everyone upholding our 5 steps to safeguarding;
- Be aware
- Appointing a lead trustee/board member for safeguarding.
- Adopting adult safeguarding best practice through policies, procedures and code of conduct for Trustees, staff, workers and volunteers.
- Providing effective management for staff, workers and volunteers through supervision, support, training and quality assurance measures so that all staff and volunteers know about and follow our policies, procedures and behaviour codes confidently and competently.
- Recruiting and selecting staff and volunteers safely, ensuring all necessary checks are made.
- Recording, storing and using information professionally and securely, in line with data protection legislation and guidance [more information about this is available from the Information Commissioner’s Office: https://ico.org.uk/ for organisations].
- Sharing information about safeguarding and good practice.
- Making sure that people know where to go for help if they have a concern.
- Using our safeguarding procedures to share concerns and relevant information with agencies who need to know, and involving adults, families and carers appropriately.
- Using our procedures to manage any allegations against staff, workers and volunteers appropriately.
- Creating and maintaining an anti-bullying environment and ensuring that we have a policy and procedure to help us deal effectively with any bullying that does arise.
- Ensuring that we have effective complaints and whistleblowing measures in place.
- Ensuring that we provide a safe physical environment for children, young people, adults with care and support needs, Trustees, staff, workers and volunteers, by applying health and safety measures in accordance with the law and regulatory guidance.
- Building a safeguarding culture where staff and volunteers, children, young people, their families and adults with safeguarding needs, treat each other with respect and are comfortable about sharing concerns.
Nominated Safeguarding Lead:
Name: Liz Murray
Phone Number/Email: 01264 568240
Trustee/Board Member Safeguarding Lead(s):
Name: Ranga Mugabe
Phone Number/Email: [email protected]
We are committed to reviewing our policy and good practice annually. This policy was last reviewed: January 2023.
Date: 18th September 2023